December 18, 2007

Daphne

Daphne ~ Laurel Tree ~ Greek


This name has never broken into popularity, though it's used with enough frequency most people are familiar with it. It immediately makes me think of the Frasier character Daphne Moon, a quirky physical therapist from England. You might also associate it with the indie band Daphne Loves Derby, actress Daphne Zuniga, or the red head from Scooby Doo.

Greek Mythology & Meaning
When I decided to post about this name, I thought for sure the meaning had something to do with the ocean or a fairy. After researching the name (which I always do before I post) I discovered I wasn't entirely crazy. In Greek mythology, Daphne is a nymph of the river. She was chosen by Eros to be Apollo's first love. Daphne ran from Apollo's pursuit of her, asking Peneus to change her form for protection. And so she was transformed into a beautiful laurel tree.

Daphne is referred to in several works of poetry because of the mythological story. The poem Daphne was written by Edna St. Vincent Millay, the first female Pulitzer Prize winner in poetry.

I think this name is beautiful and fits both a little girl and a grown woman just perfectly. If you choose this name for your child, most likely she will be the only Daphne in her class.

Popularity
I'm happy to say that Daphne is doing better every year and hasn't yet reached a peak!

  • Daphne was ranked at 356 for 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment