July 4, 2008

Gavin

Gavin ~ White Hawk ~ English

I used to think I was the only one who loved this name. I was drawn to boy's names starting with G, and this one was hitting a major sweet spot for me. It's cute, simple, and a little trendy sounding. I put it on my list of favorites and thought maybe I'd use it someday and surprise the world with my unexpected but tasteful choice.

If you haven't already guessed, Gavin doesn't exactly spark surprise today. It has been popular for awhile now, and it was #32 last year. My perfect little name secret was no secret at all. But that's as it should be. Gavin is a great name.

English in origin, but Scottish at its heart, Gavin has been used with the most frequency in the past 100 years. Its roots can be traced to medieval times, when Gawain was a common given name in Europe.

Celebrities with this name include Gavin DeGraw (singer), Gavin Griffin (poker player), Gavin Newsom (mayor of San Francisco), and Welsh rugby player Gavin Henson.

No comments:

Post a Comment