February 5, 2009

Allison and Alison

updated Sept 2015
Allison ~ Noble ~ Norman French


I think Allison is a wonderfully feminine and friendly sounding name. It's a popular choice because it's got a great flow, cute nickname potential, and it ends in "son" like contemporary names Madison, Emerson, and Addison. But Allison isn't considered trendy. It's a tried-and-true baby name that's been charming us for more than half a century.

History
Allison is the more popular spelling, but I think it makes the history more clear to talk about Alison first. Alison is a French form of the German name Alice, which is why it lacks the second l. Unfortunately we don't have name statistics going back far enough, but it's known that Alison was used in France, Scotland and England as early as medieval times. In fact, its popularity in Scotland helps this name to carry a Scottish flavor in the UK today.

The spelling Allison, which could have come from a surname that has different origins, was used a little bit in America for boys (yes, boys!) in the 1800s. But I believe it's the French variation that caught on for baby girls later in our country's history. It picked up momentum in the 1950s and even more momentum in the 70s. Today, Allison has slipped ever-so-slightly since the 90s, but not by much and it's a popular choice.

Demographics
I've read from several different sources that the name Allison is often chosen by mothers who are well-educated. A recent article in Time points out that "the name Allison is rarely given to girls whose mothers didn't finish high school but is frequently given to girls whose mothers have 17 years or more of schooling." It's an interesting factoid, but I don't place much importance on articles that associate names with status, which is what the article was hinting at. Take it for what you will.

A New Classic
I think Allison is great girl-next-door name that's destined to remain a classic. It remains near the 40 mark and has been in the top 100 girls' names for more than three decades. I love it, but let me know what you think by voting at the end of this post. :)
  • Allison is ranked at #38, a bit more popular than the original French spelling Alison, ranked at #289
  • Variations
    • Beginning with Al:
       Ali, Alisann, Alisen, Alisan, Alison, Alisun, Alyson
    • Beginning with All:
      Allie, Allisen, Allisan, Allysann, Allyson, Allisun
  • Celebs with this name:
    • Alison Krauss
    • Alison Sweeney
    • Alyson Hannigan
    • Alyson Stoner
    • Allison Mack
  • Celebrities who chose Allison for their daughter's name:
    • Clint Eastwood
    • Sally Jesse Raphael
    • Tom Berenger

3 comments:

  1. how can I not .. it's mine. Although you have 2 many "l"s in this sample :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never really liked this name. I find it plain, dull and not in the least bit feminine sounding. I understand its a legitimate feminine name, but that -son ending has always bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, it's my name and I spell it Allison though I have always gone by Ally or Sonny . . I was only Allison when my parents were angry with me and that was useually followed by Tracey and then my surname. Personally I prefer the spelling with 2 L's I think it looks more interesting than with 1 . . . kind of like Anne and Ann

    ReplyDelete