June 23, 2009

Allete and Alette

Allete, Alette ~ Winged, To Lift Off ~ French


Butterflies, birds, feathers and wings are what led me to this baby name. I stumbled upon it while looking for a name related to flight for a character in a story, and I fell in love with its simple but feminine sound. It is obviously French but not overly exotic to English-speaking ears, as it's not too far from other familiar names like Annette or Adele.

The only problem is I can't find many references to the name, let alone history or use stats. I did learn that the French word for winged is ailé, and the word alette means "to lift off." It would make for a creatifve, unique, and beautiful French-inspired name.

So yes, I hesitated to write a post about this name since I usually have much more information to offer. I loved the sound and meaning so much I felt it was worth posting.

If you have any information on the name's history or use, or if you know someone with this name or who wants to use Allete for their child, please leave a comment! I'd love to collaborate and have more information added to this post.

  • Allete is not nationally ranked and is a unique name.
  • Aleta may be a Spanish variation, meaning "little winged one."

3 comments:

  1. This is definitely a lovely name. I do believe that it might be an alternative spelling for the name Alette and maybe a variation of Aleta, which is actually a variation of Alethea meaning "truth".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great information! I think the spelling Alette makes more sense for a feminine name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My puppy's name is Alette. We wanted a pretty French girls name. Alette meant "little winged one" and she is indeed an angel. A little red cavoodle. I'm totally in love

    ReplyDelete