February 24, 2008

Eli

Eli ~ The Lord is My God ~ Hebrew origins


If you watch TV, I mean even a little, you are probably aware of this sweet name lately. You might associate it with a little game called the Superbowl, and the two fourth-quarter touchdowns thrown by QB Eli Manning to give the Giants the win. Or you might watch Eli Stone, a show about a man whose medical condition causes him to have prophetic visions. (I don't think they named the character "Eli" by accident!)

Popularity
Eli is a popular name, with rankings in the 130s. I really like the idea of using the name Eli as a full name, but it is often used as a nickname for Elijah. Elijah is a popular name right now and it sits at number 29. Elisha, which is actually Eli Manning’s full name, isn’t used as often and is only ranked at 629. I am biased towards Elisha because it’s the name of my friend’s son, and it's got a unique sound.

Biblical History
People are more aware of the name Elijah because he was a more prominent figure than Elisha. Elijah appears in several religious works: the Bible, Talmud, Mishnah, and the Qur’an. He was a prophet from Israel who raised the dead, and ascended into heaven after his ministry was complete. His disciple and adopted son was the lesser-known Elisha. Sound confusing? I think it is!

Celebrity Babies & More
Celebrities that chose Elijah for their son include

  • Rodney Atkins
  • Bono
  • Cher

The song Watching You by Atkins was written about his son Elijah, and it’s one of the most adorable songs I’ve heard.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, am partial to the version "Elisha," though I didn't know it was Eli Manning's actual name. Good to know.

    :)

    ReplyDelete