April 15, 2009

Zane

Zane ~ God is Gracious ~ English


A Cool Cowboy Name
If you're like me, you might need a reminder as to where you've heard this name before. Zane was placed in the American consciousness by a famous author of Western novels, Zane Grey. He is probably best known for the book Riders of the Purple Sage. Grey's grandfather, Ebenezer Zane, not only inspired Grey's middle name (which he used as a first name) but founded the town of Zaneville, Ohio.

Maybe it's because I'm not too familiar with Western fiction, but there was a time when I didn't automatically think of Zane as a Western name. I was in the minority! In fact, I've heard that some think the name is almost too cool and conjures a sexy cowboy image that would be hard for a guy to live up to. I disagree. I think the popularity of names like Lane, Zach, and Wyatt make Zane a great choice that won't set the bar too high or be too distinctive.

Meaning & Origins
Zane comes from an English surname of unknown meaning, and possibly a variation of the name John. I say “possibly” because I have a feeling the use of the name in this country does not come from the Turkish and Hebrew variants of John. Those are valid origins on a more international basis and are great for assigning meaning. But in English-speaking countries, the surname Zane is the very reason it's in use as a given name. Grey is a great example of this, and his fame alone can be credited with its popularity.

Popularity & Western Use
Zane is gaining popularity at a steady pace. It is used throughout the country, but is most popular in Montana, Wyoming, and Oklahoma. I can attest to this, because my husband's friend named Zane is from—surprise, surprise—Montana. These states have obvious Western appeal, just like the name Zane does.
  • Zane is ranked at #224 for the year 2014
  • Variations include: Zayne, Zain, Zaine
  • Famous Zanes:
    • Author Zane Grey
    • actor Billy Zane

1 comment:

  1. What a great resource! I just forwarded your site along to my friend, who is in the process of brainstorming names for her baby girl.

    I'll see you around the Challenge Forum!

    ReplyDelete