May 19, 2009

Nevaeh

updated Sept 2015
Nevaeh ~ Heaven ~ American


What an incredible story this name has. Nevaeh (neh-VAY-uh), which is heaven spelled backwards, appeared in 2001 when Christian rocker Sonny Sandoval chose the name for his daughter. While he's not very well known, those who heard the name remembered it. My favorite name experts say Nevaeh spread by word-of-mouth, and through internet bulletin boards and chat rooms for expecting parents.

Nevaeh feels like it had been right in front of us all along, and I think that's why so many found it appealing. It's a pretty word with a blissful message that represents everything parents want to give to their child. This little name-that-could took off like a bullet train, debuting in the U.S.' top 1,000 names at #266! It is curently #34, sitting between Savannah and Gabriella.

That being said, this name tends to polarize people. Some are of the opinion that it invites teasing, is awkward to spell and pronounce, or isn't a "legitimate" name because it's newly invented. Some of those arguments are made less valid considering the popularity of the name alone. And there's nothing wrong with a choosing a creative, trendy name that's new to the naming scene (like Jaden or Addison). That's part of how language evolves with culture, and I'm thankful we have more choices than Mary and Matthew.

Personally, I think Nevaeh is kind of pretty. It's got a nice sound and I think it's sweet that it spells heaven backwards. I understand the appeal this name has and the special connection it has for parents, particularly those who want to express beliefs about the afterlife. However, I'm not over the moon about it, and I think it will seem dated in a decade or so because of its fast rise in popularity. What do you think? Do you love it or hate it? Why?

Popularity
Nevaeh has fallen a bit since the original publishing of this post. It's ranked at 65 for 2014. Nevaeh is popular in the U.S., Australia, and Great Britain.

You May Also Like...
My list of Heavenly Names of all kinds (classic and trendy!)

5 comments:

  1. I do feel that this name is not legitimate. It doesn't really have a history. I do appreciate its intentions though, and I must admit, it has a lovely sound. It has gotten trendy though, which is another big turn off for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 10 month daughter's name is Nevaeh but I didn't know it was so popular!I actually spelled it Ne'Vaeh. I thought that was kinda cool. It took me until the last two weeks of my pregnancy to find a name. The name was referred to me by my mother-in-law who is a very religious person. I never heard of it before I actually was watching the Maury Show. "You ARE the father of baby Nevaeh!" My mouth just flew open. Then I found out that I have a neighbor who has a daughter with the same name. That sucks, but it's a very cute name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the name and i think its sooo perfect and the sound is so angelic, never thought it would be popular considering everyone whom i mention the name to, still hasnt heard of it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously can't stand this name. Heaven spelled backwards, really? Doesn't flipping a word give it the reverse meaning?
    It's also picking up in popularity with strippers. That would be enough to make me steer clear of the name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it has a lovely soft sound. I personally like to use names with more history and that are less trendy for my own children, but I can see why it was appealing to so many parents.

    ReplyDelete