June 6, 2009

Victoria

Victoria ~ Victory ~ Latin

When I think of a beautiful, classic baby name, Victoria is one of the first to come to mind. Its strong roots and royal connections make it a stable and lovely choice with a sophisticated air.

History
Victoria is the name of the Roman goddess of victory. She was an integral part of Roman culture, reflected in the temples built in her honor and the homage paid to her with everyday items like coins and jewelry. She was the personification of victory, and was worshiped as such by generals as well as the rest of roman society.

Victoria was also the name of a 4th century saint from North Africa, but the name was seldom used until much later. Queen Victoria of England, for whom the Victorian Era is named, sparked interest in the name for English-speaking countries in the mid-to-late 1800s. After her death in 1901, the name dropped a little in popularity. Then in the 40s the name got its stride back, something I attribute to WWII. Victory was on the minds of all, and the Victoria Cross is England's most honorable award for valor in war. What's more, the variation Vicky fit with other spirited names of the time like Peggy, Betty, and Shirley.

Popularity
Just like the name suggests, Victoria has earned a triumphant top-ranking spot in popularity. It has been in the top 20 since 1991 and I don't see it losing momentum any time soon. Victoria will remain a classic girls' name even if it does drop a little in the long-term. It's elegant and well-established, it has a nice sound, and lots of variations that will keep the name appealing no matter the time period.

Variations

  • Ria
  • Roria
  • Tori
  • Torie, Torrey, Tory 
  • Toria
  • Vicki, Vicky, Vikki
  • Victoriana
  • Victorina
  • Victorine
  • Victory,
  • Vitoria, Vittoria


Celebrities and Places Named Victoria
  • Celebrities named Victoria (or a variation of Victoria):
    Victoria Abril
    Victoria Beckham
    Victoria Brooks
    Victoria Hamilton
    Victoria Matthews
    Victoria Principal
    Victoria RecaƱo
    Tori Spelling
    Tori Amos
    Vicky Hurst
    Vicki Lawrence
  • Celebrities who chose Victoria for their child's name:
    Muhammad Ali
    Milton Berle
    Betty Grable
    Julio Iglesias
    Paul Schaffer
    Danielle Steel
  • Places named Victoria:
    Victoria is the name of a state in Australia
    Victoria is the capital city of British Columbia, Canada
    Victoria, Minnesota
    Victoria, Texas

5 comments:

  1. I have never liked Victoria and I'm not sure why, I knew a Victoria who went by Vicki and I think thats what put me off, I do like the nickname Tori though, It has also seemed like an upper class or snobbish name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Victoria. She is strong and classy. However, I am not a huge fan of her nickname options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Victoria and my dad has never liked the nickname Vicki so ever1 has to call me Tori. Sometimes i get sick of hearing places like Victoria St and Victoria Pl and there are heaps more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori Amos' name isn't Victoria; 'Tori' is her stage name and she's never gone by Victoria. Her birth name is actually Myra Ellen Amos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point. I'm a Tori fan too. I didn't do a separate posting for the variation "Tori" so I included her as a celebrity with a variation of Victoria. Same goes for Vicky. Maybe I'll re-organize those listings. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete