So, how'd they do it? Let's take a look at their kids' names and the qualities they have.
- Maddox Chivan - Maddox comes from a Welsh surname and means son of Madoc. At the time of his adoption, the name Max was gaining popularity and Maddox seemed like a fresh twist on that name.
- Zahara Marley - Zahara is Arabic and means flower. It's also one letter away from the familiar Sahara desert. It's a pretty international name, with the z making it seem a bit exotic.
- Shiloh Nouvel - Shiloh is Hebrew, means he who is to be sent, and is a Biblical place name.
- Pax Thien - This is a Latin name meaning peace. It's short, sweet, and catchy.
- Knox Leon - Knox is English and means hills. It's a common surname, a college, a Fort, and much more.
- Vivienne Marcheline - Vivienne is the French form of a Latin name meaning full of life. It's a softer variation of Vivian, updating it for today and making the cute nicknames Viv and Vivi more appealing.
Baby Naming Tips Inspired by Brad & Angelina
Like Brangelina's choices? Here's how you can create your own style of trend-setting names that will make you feel like a celebrity.
- Use names that contain an x or an unusual consonant for boys. This trend is still going strong, with names like Jaxon really taking off recently. Another take on this trend is to go with a different consonant in the name that also looks and feels less-used, like q, z, or j.
- Look for girls' names with strong roots and lots of vowels to soften the sound. The Jolie-Pitt girls' names have a unique personality but also roll off the tongue. They have origins in Arabic, Hebrew, and Latin and are familiar to us. Another quality they share is a strong consonant to start off the name and similar repeating vowel sounds.
- Think about names that sound unusual but are familiar. Whether it's a surname like Maddox and Knox, a place-inspired name like Shiloh, a twist on a familiar name like Vivienne, or a classic Latin word like Pax, you'll be on target if the name has been around for awhile in one form or another.
- Don't be afraid to rock your style. If the name you love is almost unheard of among other parents, don't be shy. For example, using Knox as a first name was extremely unusual when the Jolie-Pitt baby was born. Today Knox is beginning to climb up the name charts.
Finally, here are a few name ideas to get the ball rolling.
Inspired by Maddox, Pax, and Knox:
Inspired by Zahara, Shiloh, and Vivienne: