April 23, 2008

Lucas

Lucas ~ from Lucania ~ Latin origins


I make no exaggerations when I say Lucas is skyrocketing. If you don't already know a child with this name, my bet is you will. (Or perhaps you are already considering it for your son.) In 2006, this name was number 59 and showing no signs of having hit a plateau. Update: For 2014, Lucas is in the top 20, now ranked at 19.

So what's the big deal about Lucas? Maybe it's the sophisticated sound with the added bonus of a cute nickname. Maybe it's Chad Michael Murray's character on One Tree Hill. Or maybe it's a great name for the son of a Star Wars junkie, in the vein of Luke Skywalker or Mr. Lucas himself.

Personally, I like Lucas because of its lilting sound and Biblical history. (It's a form of Luke that is seen in the Authorized Version of the New Testament.) It has a sturdy foundation and ancient roots, and it's also got appeal on a global level.

Lucas strikes me as a name for a quiet, artistic type, perhaps because of a kid I knew in my elementary school. He was awkward and shy but very intelligent and sweet as well. I have never met a Lucas that I didn't like.

Celebrities Who Named Their Son Lucas
  • Isabeli Fontana
  • Nina Garcia
  • Christopher Gorham
  • Cameron Mathison
  • Corky Nemec
  • Byron Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment