October 17, 2013

Updates: Ghostly Baby Names and More on Iker

Ghostly Baby Names

My latest Name Candy guest post is on Ghostly Names, in honor of Halloween. Some famous ghosts just don't have names (much like I discovered when writing about mermaid names), but I found a few ghoulish and harmless phantoms that could inspire some contemporary baby name choices. Take a look!



More On Iker

Appellation Mountain's mention of my post on the name Iker definitely has me thinking. When I originally wrote about the name, I was a little bit "softer" in my discussion of how to pronounce it. But the more I researched, the more I saw all sorts of arguments online for staying true to its Basque sounds.

Is it really wrong to say EYE-ker? I hate to say yes to a question like that. I'm all for the preference of the parents when it comes to naming. One way to settle this could be a respelling: Iyker, Eiker, and the like could be a way to create your own twist on the Basque name. In the end, though, American parents of a little Iker may find themselves explaining how to pronounce their son's name no matter how they prefer to say it.

If you'd like to hear an English speaker saying his name, here's a British video of an interview with Iker Casillas, and fellow footballer Xavi Hernandez. Listen for his name around the 8 second mark.


Next on Nameisms

I'm working on a few posts, as always, but got a little extra busy with a certain sweet little teething baby this week. Coming up next are some interesting names inspired by more kids in my neighborhood, and a name list just in time for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment