April 5, 2008

James

James ~ Supplanter ~ Hebrew


When I think of James, I think of an old classmate of mine. He was blond, popular, into wrestling, and rebellious in a cool kind of way. It's odd, but now that I think of it, he was a little like James Dean. There must be something about this name that gives it that motorcycle vibe.

I personally think James is one of the best names to come from the Bible. It translates easily into our culture, it's simple, easy to pronounce, and it has a ton of famous figures associated with it, like James Madison or James Stewart or James Franco. There will always be a celebrity or politician or cool guy with this name.

At the same time, this name strikes me as sweet and easygoing. It's adorable on a baby (though the nickname Jamie may feel even cuter) and timeless for any age.

At its lowest point in American history, this name was #18 on the charts. It will always be a classic. The only thing that sticks out about this name is its definition. Since "supplant" isn't exactly conversational language, the meaning is a little confusing at first. "He who supplants" translates into something like a person who successfully takes someone else's place or usurps. It's an odd definition, but not a bad one by any means.
  • James was ranked at #9 for 2014
  • Celebrities who named their son James include 
    • Bill Paxton
    • Colin Farrell
    • Geoffrey Rush
    • Antonia Kidman
  • Variations
    • Jacques
    • Jack
    • Jaime
    • Jamey
    • Jim
    • Jimi
    • Jimmey
    • Jimmy

3 comments:

  1. Always like that name, JAMES. It was my brother's name. I was gonna name my son LINCOLN JAMES but had a girl instead! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always did like this name, it's one of the male names that tends to repeat quite a bit in my family, and unlike the other repeat male name in my family (which is Stephan) I love this name!, It seems to me that every James or Jim I have ever met be it in highschool, college or my own family, have always been popular, athletic and successfull. I know James don't have anything to do with it, but still it's a nice image to have associated with a name.

    ReplyDelete