November 15, 2008

Adelaide

Adelaide ~ Noble, Kind ~ German

Update (2015): Adelaide has risen in popularity by 395 places since this post was originally written. It is currently ranked at 316 for the year 2014. Watch for this name to keep rising over the next few years.


I can no longer keep my secret—Adelaide is my favorite girl's name and has been for awhile. I have never met anyone with the name and don't even recall seeing it in my baby name book, but one morning I woke up and was suddenly in love with its musical sound. Adelaide made me think of a girl from the pioneer era of American history, but at the same time it seemed almost modern, and I could easily imagine it as the name of a little girl in today's society. I thought of the potential for using Addie or Adalie for short, and I was hooked.

Popularity
The same bell that went off in my mind must have rung in the minds of a lot of other Americans, because last year Adelaide rose 188 spots in popularity. It sits at #711 right now, which is pretty far from the top, but I have a feeling this name could catch on like wildfire. It fits in with the trendy name Addison because of its variations, as well as pioneer-revival names like Olivia. It's also a "place" name because of the Australian city, so I say look out Sydney!

History
Adelaide has been in use for centuries. It enjoyed popularity in Britain after King William IV married a German princess named Adelaide in 1818. That is how the well-populated city in Australia came to be named in 1836. America followed suit, but the name declined and fell out of use (for the most part) in the '50s. Much to my delight, Adelaide has a lot of potential for use again today.

Variations
Adelaide is a name very rich in nicknames and variations. Some of the most popular are below.
  • Ada
  • Adala
  • Adalie
  • Addie, Addy
  • Adele
  • Adella
  • Della
  • Edeline
  • Eline
Celebs & Pop Culture
  • Actress Rachel Griffiths & Andrew Taylor have a daughter named Adelaide, born in 2005
  • Ben Folds has a song called Adelaide (referring to the city)
  • Anberlin also has a song by the name Adelaide (referring to a girl)

5 comments:

  1. I also really like this name. It's so pretty, I was reading a book and there was a character called Adelaide, a minor character, but I loved the name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adelaide is delightful. I think of sweet lace, and victorian homes. She has such lovely associations and a beautiful sound. I always felt Lady would make a cute nickname for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although it seems like it's about a girl, the Anberlin song was actually inspired by the city in South Australia because the drummer had a relationship with a girl in Adelaide. They also always play it when they tour to SA. Goes off with the crowd. Oh, and we're naming our daughter Adelaide when she's born in December.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this name! also like Adeline.

    ReplyDelete