October 2, 2008

Pioneer Baby Names

If you didn’t already know it, we’re in the midst of a baby name pioneer revival! Many of the names we like today, such as Ella, Chloe, Owen and Noah, can be found in the top names from the 1880s.

We have always been fascinated with this period of our history, when America was expanding west and average people were faced with make-or-break-it survival. The western frontier has been much romanticized over the years, from the wild west movies made in the ‘50s, to the charming t.v. series of the ‘70s, Little House on the Prairie. The stories of the early settlers will always inspire us, and for now, so do these names.


Girls

Abigail

Ada

Addie

Adelaide

Amelia

Belle

Callie

Celia

Chloe

Cora

Dovie

Eliza

Ella

Emma

Eva

Hannah

Harriet

Hattie

Lottie

Lucy

Lula

Mabel

Maggie

Mollie

Nellie

Nora

Olivia

Pearl

Roxie

Sophia

Susie

Viola

Winnie

Boys

Amos

Benjamin

Charles

Clarence

Daniel

Elisha

Emmett

Frederick

Gideon

Gus

Guy

Henry

Hezekiah

Ike

Ira

Issac

James

Jesse

Julius

Levi

Lewis

Lucian

Mack

Noah

Oscar

Otto

Owen

Roy

Samuel

Thomas

Walter

Wiley

William



Related:
Vintage Baby Names ~ Nature Baby Names ~ Musical Names

15 comments:

  1. I like the name Olivia from your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is happy to see your posting. Yes really informative article. I will tell this information again to my friend, oh yes I suggest you to check my blog on www.101babysolution.blogspot.com , I hope the article on my blog will be usefull for you... and we can share each other. thank you... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutly despise the names olivia and emma, i don't know why these names are becomming so popular, they always seem kind of . . .fat aunt olivia, or emma to me. I have a cousion named olivia and school was horrid for her, she was called olive and olive oil for years. However I do find the names Ella and Abigail to be very charming

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like Adelaids the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know the name Sophia was colonial? I thought it was more of a princess-y type name, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This helped a lot for my pioneer project. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For school, I had to write pioneer names and circle my favorites. This really helped. Oh, and Kristen is a name too

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice baby list. Thanks for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the name Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charles is a cute name

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE THE NAME EVA IT IS REALLY CUTE!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I had to write a story for school about the early settlers and I used the name Lucian

    ReplyDelete