January 2, 2009

Eve, a New Year's Baby

Eve ~ Life ~ Hebrew


The first baby of the New Year in Colorado has been announced! As I did last year, I knew I would feature whatever the baby's name was for my first post in 2009. And what a good decision, as I just love the baby's name. Little Eve Maria Moser started giving her mother contractions during a New Year's Eve mass service. She was born just a few seconds into 2009.

I find the name Eve particularly appropriate for a New Year's baby, not only because of the New Year's Eve connection, but also because Eve is the biblical name of the first woman created by God. The meaning, life, is beautiful and makes me think of the fresh start we all like to claim during this time of year. Eve also hints at evening, of course, the time when we are usually slowing down from a busy day and enjoying the company of our family. I imagine baby Eve's parents were inspired by the New Year's Eve holiday, but any way you look at it, I think it's a beautiful choice.

History
As far as the history of the name, the origin of the human race is usually part of the picture, as I mentioned above. In several major religions Eve is considered the first woman of creation and, unfortunately, the first person to sin. But that hasn't tainted this name from being used, and it's become more a bit more fashionable in the past decade.

Popularity
Eve isn't doing as well as its variations these days, particularly in contrast with the #5 girls' name, Ava. Even though Eve is definitely due for more use, it will always have a classic feel, as the "original" female name should!
  • Eve is ranked at #460 in popularity for 2014
Variations
  • Ava
  • Eva
  • Evelyn
  • Evie
Celebrities and Celebrity Babies
  • Eve (actress, singer/rapper)
  • Eve Arden (actress)
  • Eve Plumb (actress)
  • Eve Augusta, daughter of Jessica Capshaw (actress)
  • Eve, daughter of Clive Owen (actor)
  • Eve Julia, daughter of Jeffrey Tambor (actor)

2 comments: