September 26, 2009

Biblical Baby Names

As the most enduring book of all time, the Bible has given us loads of classic names that have remained treasured throughout generations. It’s also inspired trends, and now more than ever, parents are looking for the perfect biblical name that expresses their style along with their beliefs.



Thankfully, there are TONS of names in the Bible, and something to fit everyone's taste! That’s why my list hits on the most prominent names and those that have impacted American culture. It's an ever-changing naming landscape, and as new biblical favorites emerge, I'll keep this list updated.

I only included names of people referenced in the Bible; I don’t include place names (like Zion, Eden, etc.) or other words that could work as names (like Olive, Jasper). One other thing to note: in comparison to male names, female names mentioned in the Bible are pretty sparse. If you're looking for more girls inspired by the Bible, check out my post on Feminine Forms of Male Names in the Bible. While this list is dominated by male names, the girls offer stylistically diverse, endearing, and enduring choices.

Below are Classic, Trendy, Lesser Used, and Unique Biblical Names! Feel free to add names or ask questions in the comments section. Names with more details are linked in the list.

Classic Biblical Names
These are names that have stood the test of time in America, maintaining frequent use throughout the past century (and longer!). They will never sound dated.
Boys
Aaron
Abraham
Adam
Andrew
Benjamin
Daniel
David
Gabriel
Jacob
James
Jesse
John
Jonathan
Joseph
Luke
Mark
Matthew
Michael
Nathan
Nicolas, Nicholas
Paul
Peter
Philip
Samuel
Stephen
Thomas
Timothy
Girls
Abigail
Anna
Elizabeth
Esther
Leah
Lydia (both classic & trendy)
Mary
Naomi (both classic & trendy)
Rachel
Rebecca
Ruth
Sarah
Susana, Susanna, Susannah

Trendy Biblical Names
These are names that are showing a strong increase in popularity in recent years, but don't have a stable record of showing popularity in the past. They sound fresh and modern, but also have strong roots.
Boys
Abel
Asher
Caleb
Elijah, Elisha
Ephraim
Ezekiel
Ezra
Gideon
Isaac
Isaiah
Israel
Jared
Jeremiah
Joel
Jonah
Joshua
Josiah
Judah
Jude
Levi
Malachi
Micah
Nehemiah
Noah
Omar
Saul
Seth
Silas
Simon
Titus
Girls
Chloe
Delilah
Hannah
Phoebe

Lesser-Used Biblical Names
Not popular enough to be described as "trendy," these choices are familiar and a little more distinct.
Boys
Abram (ABE-rum)
Amos
Jedidiah
Felix
Matthias
Moses
Samson
Solomon
Uriah
Zecharaiah, Zacharaiah
Girls
Deborah
Eve
Joanna
Judith
Martha
Miriam
Priscilla
Tabitha

Unique Biblical Names
It's exactly what it sounds like—these are names that are rarely used today, but still have some potential. Most of these names are actually around the 950+ mark in rank, meaning that they are just barely in the top 1,000 names in the U.S.
Boys
Amos
Boaz
Cornelius
Eleazar
Enoch
Hezekiah
Japheth
Lazarus
Lucius
Obadiah
Reuben
Simeon
Thaddeus
Tobiah, Tobias
Girls
Dinah
Eunice
Jemima (more popular in the UK)
Junia
Salome
Zipporah

11 comments:

  1. I wouldn't consider Delilah trendy, personally. At least I haven't met many in my neck of the woods. I think it has a gorgeous sound, but do not have the guts to use it. I also like Phoebe. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Laura,

    Thanks for compiling the list. It really helped.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading and learning about names! Great blog! :) I left you an award at MyBlessingsOverflow.blogspot.com
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sebastiane,
    I was looking at the pattern of popularity of the names to determine what would qualify for "trendy." Specifically for Delilah, the name has enjoyed a huge spike in popularity compared to the past. In 1997 it was ranked at 898, but in 2008 it's ranked at 193! People are suddenly crazy about it! :)

    Alex, you are welcome!

    And thanks so much Ree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your blog today...I've loved studying and learning about names for most of my life as well. All my children and husband have biblical names. I saw Paul's (DH) and Rachel (I'm pretty sure the biblical spelling is actually Rachael, however). I didn't see Elijah and Caleb at first, think I missed them because I don't think of them as trendy names; especially at the time I named my children! As mothers of preschoolers we were all astounded when we realized that in that tiny town with only 13 kids in the preschool; 4 of them were named Caleb (varied spellings)!!! What are the odds? Not one of us had ever known or heard of anyone with that name, and purposely chose a very uncommon name. Today, it still would unusual, but in 1991 it was just plain phenomenal, and not in a good way! I purposely chose less common names I had loved for years and names that fit them well. Our families thought we were wierd to name them such uncommon almost unheard of names (at the time). My husband chose our oldest son's name long before I ever met him; biblical and the only common one. Ironically, it's the only name (in our family you left off of your lists...Joshua!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Montannie Grannie, for pointing out my omission of Joshua! It's included in the Trendy list now.

    Debbie, I see what you mean, so I changed the name of that section just for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about Silas? It's my favorite biblical name and at the top of my boy list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thanks for the suggestion! I added Silas to the list under Trendy, because it's at #254 for 2009 and is showing quite a nice increase in popularity (but it's still fairly unique, all things considered.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great list. I love how you broke it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have, Elijah, Stephen, Isaac, David, Jeriah(unusual but one of the Levite leaders with a great meaning), Joseph, Noah, and Isaiah as first and middle names for our boys. And our our only daughter has Adoniah as a middle name even though it is a male name in the bible. It justs sounds beautiful and remoniscent of the Hebrew song El Shaddai that my mother used t sing to me when I was younger :)

    ReplyDelete