March 19, 2009

Declan

updated Sept 2015

Happy St. Patrick's Day! This week's baby name is in honor of Ireland.


Declan ~ unknown, a saint's name ~ Irish

Popularity
A modern-sounding baby name for Americans, Declan (DECK-lan) didn't show up on our charts until 1999. Considering its newfound use in this country, Declan took off incredibly quickly. It's distinctively Irish while also being easy to pronounce and on-trend in its sound.

History
So where does it come from, you ask? Saint Declan is a cherished and popular Irish saint, perhaps second only to...yes...Saint Patrick. Saint Declan founded a monastery and converted many people to Christianity in Ardmore, Ireland, around the 5th century. His feast day is July 24th. You can read all about his lore and significance to the Irish people on this page.

Most sources indicate that the meaning of the name is unknown. A few out there cite it as "full of goodness," and that makes me smile. I think Declan is a cute name with a nice sound, and it's perfect if you want an Irish name that isn't common.

Pop Culture/Stats
  • Declan is #122 for US stats in 2014
  • Celebrity babies with this name:
    • Pro wrestler Shane McMahon's son
    • Singer Cindy Lauper went with an alternate spelling for her son, Declyn
    • Comedian/Actor Danny McBride's son
  • There are characters named Declan in the TV shows RevengeKyle XY, Criminal Minds, and Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this name!! I want to name my future boy Declan Dougall Kelly but hubby is now not so keen. I WILL win this one!


    Great blog! I've never seen one like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like this. Deck is kinda cute as a nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my son's name. At first I wanted to name him Aidan but it became too mainstreamed in recent years. I think Declan is still very irish which is what we wanted for our son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our second son is named Declan. Our oldest is Brendan.

    We loved Aidan and Connor but my husband and I are both from big families and our siblings had already used many of our favorite names. Despite many friends and family urging us to go with another name, we went with Declan and now love it - as do they and as does Declan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandson was just names Deklan....I love it so different than any other boy name.....I like difference makes the world a very interesting planet

    ReplyDelete