March 14, 2008

Patrick

Updated September 2013

Patrick ~ Nobleman ~ Latin, Celtic origins

History
It's only fitting that I write about the quintessential Irish boy's name in honor of St. Patrick's day. St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, and is known for his charitable work there as a bishop. What's interesting about him is that he was born in England, but he was captured and taken to Ireland as a slave when he was a teenager. Even after his escape, Ireland became his passion and was where he did most of his ministry. He is credited for bringing Christianity to the country during the 5th century.

Personal Thoughts
When people found out that my son was due on St. Patrick's Day, I got a lot of questions about whether we'd name him Patrick. I actually love the name Patrick, and it would be extra appropriate since my mom bears the feminine form (Patricia). There's just one problem: I'm not fond of the nickname Pat. I'd answer my friends' questions with this explanation, and they would respond with understanding at my "Pat" hangup. Could my son have been a Patrick? Absolutely. It just wasn't right for him in the end. And he wasn't a St. Patrick's Day baby, after all.

One of the few Patricks I've known was a successful attorney who went by his full name. This proves that it's definitely possible to avoid nicknames if you have the same Pat issues; however, I think it would take some training with family, friends, and teachers—especially for a little boy.

Part of my problem might have to do with the androgynous "Pat" character from SNL. That was one pop-culture reference that definitely didn't help any Pats out there.

Popularity
The full name Patrick is pretty popular, though it's experiencing a bit of a decline in use. In 2012, it ranked at 142.

Variations
  • Padraig
  • Paddy
  • Pat
  • Patrice
  • Patsy
  • Patton
Famous Patricks
Famous Americans by this name include Patrick Dempsey, Patrick Stewart, Neil Patrick Harris, the late Patrick Swayze, and Revolutionary War hero Patrick Henry.



You May Also Like...
Declan ~ Henry ~ Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment