March 3, 2009

Nature Baby Names

If your first thought when seeing a list of nature baby names is that they are for hippies, you're in for a surprise. Nature names range from classic (Rose) to trendy (Aspen) and everything in between. With such a wide variety of choices, at least a few are bound to fit your style.

Below you'll find Earth Names, Plants, Flower and Tree Names, Spice Names, and Gem Names. A lot of these names are unisex, so use your imagination even though I divided them into genders for easier reading. Enjoy!



Earth Names


Girls

Aurora

Autumn

Brook/Brooke

Butterfly

Coral

Dawn

Ember

Gaia

Luna

Meadow

Misty

Rainbow

Savannah

Star

Summer

Sunny

Terra

Windy

Winter


Unisex Names

Rain/Raine

River

Sky/Skye

Storm



Boys

Beach

Breeze

Canyon

Clay

Cliff

Cove

Dusty

Flint

Frost

Glen

Light

Ocean

Quarry

Ridge

Stone




Plants, Flowers, and Tree Names


Girls

Acacia

Azalea

Blossom

Cherry

Clover

Dahlia

Daisy

Freesia

Hazel

Heather

Holly

Iris

Ivy

Jasmine

Juniper

Laurel

Lavender

Lilac

Lily

Magnolia

Marigold

Olive

Poppy

Primrose

Rose

Tulip

Viola

Violet

Willow

Zinnia


Boys

Alder

Ash

Aspen

Birch

Bracken

Briar

Cedar

Forest

Huckleberry

Leaf

Linden

Oak

Reed

Rowan

Spruce



Spice Names


Girls

Cayenne

Cinnamon

Ginger

Laurel

Myrrh

Pepper

Rosemary

Saffron


Boys

Basil

Coriander

Sage




Gem Names


Girls

Amber

Amethyst

Diamond

Emerald

Garnet

Gemma

Jade

Jewel

Opal

Pearl

Ruby

Sapphire


Boys

Jade

Jasper

Onyx

Silver

Topaz

19 comments:

  1. Diamond it's a nice name,never heard it's a baby name also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's different but pretty. Diamond is usually used as a girl's name & was ranked at 359 for 2007. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. diamond reminds me of an american gladiator's name

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sage is also a very pretty girls name... We know of 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list of names.. but why divide them into "Boys" and "Girls"? All of them can be gender-neutral. Giving girls flower names reinforces destructive stereotypes. Name boys Willow and girls Jade! In fact.. I know boys named Willow and (many) girls/women named Jade, Sage, Coriander and Cedar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .. and I just noticed with shock that you list the Girl names in pink and Boy names in blue! Are you serious? I think we are generally finished with this kind of silly and, like I said before, destructive gender binarism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments, Anonymous. The second paragraph states my reasoning for dividing names into genders—I think it's easier to process so much information when it's organized. I mean no offense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love nature names their beautiful. My girl name at the moment is Rose I think it's beautiful. I'm beginning to love Sage and Willow - Willow for a girl and Sage for either sex - I prefer traditional nature names but it's interesting seeing a mix so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't forget nature names from other cultures, too. My daughter's first and middle names, Kaia Haneul, are Hawaiian ("sea/ocean") and Korean ("sky/heavens").

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the names ember and aurora, my boyfriend and i are expecting and these helped out a lot. THANKS!! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Ember is a beautiful name. My daughter's name is Fern and considering this as a name for baby no. 2 if a girl.

      Delete
  11. These names are cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry, I consider myself a feminist but there is nothing sexist about recognizing that there is a difference between boys names and girls names.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is also the girls flower name Bryony, which is my name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suggest Fern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can also spell Star like Starr. Great List!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of these names, what is funny is my daughters are named Georgia (vintage), Gemma (nature), and Harriet (pioneer)! My name is Rose, so I of course suggest that for a flower name!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know a guy named Diamond. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete