April 30, 2008

Musical Baby Names

I have always loved names that remind me of music. I've had a strong connection with music all my life, from when I was a little girl singing in church, to studying it at college.

For those of us who feel like music is part of who we are, it only seems natural to extend that gift to our children. For some, it may even mean using a name that reflects that.



So here are some names that fit into a category of musical terms and words, followed by their definitions. There are many names out there with meanings related to music, and there are other ways to use this concept, like using the name of a musician you like. But I thought I'd limit the list to music terms to make things less complicated. It makes for some beautiful and unusual choices. Enjoy!

  • Cadence ~ rhythmic flow; a section of music

  • Melody ~ tune

  • Aria ~ expressive melody, often an opera piece

  • Echo ~ reflection of sound

  • Harmony ~ combined notes

  • Jazz ~ rhythmic, syncopated music

  • Coda ~ the ending section of a song

  • Song ~ music, singing

  • Lark ~ the songbird

  • Psalm ~ song

  • Tempo ~ rhythm

  • Lyric ~ words that are sung; also applies to poetry

  • Symphony ~ music composed for an orchestra




Related:
Nature Baby Names ~ Apple Varieties ~ Vintage Baby Names

4 comments:

  1. <3 cool. i've been considering cadence for quite some time. nice to see it at the tiop of your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just discovered this site and I'm very excited to spend some time searching through these names. On the topic of musical names, the Viola is a string instrument and Viola is a very pretty name, in my opinion. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Viola. What a great suggestion! So glad you like the site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought of using "Reed" for a boy's name.

    I found these two interesting names on a different website:
    "Claire-Annette" and "Amanda-Lynn".

    Also I'm reminded of a sticker I had on my trumpet case that would be cute for a baby shirt if the baby was named "Fermata":
    I'm a fermata. Hold me.

    ReplyDelete