August 12, 2008

Harper

Updated August 2013

Harper ~ Harp Player ~ English

What's not to love about Harper? The sound is lovely, the meaning is nice, it's a surname, and it's got a contemporary-but-familiar feel. These qualities are making Harper a rising star. Most people are going to love the sound of it when they hear it.

The greatest association we have with this name is Harper Lee. A true American legend, Lee is known for writing To Kill A Mockingbird. She was awarded a Pulitzer Prize for the novel, and received many other awards and honors as well. But Lee preferred to stay out of the spotlight, hardly ever granting interviews or giving speeches.

This means that the name Harper, while it does remind us of a famous author, doesn't have a strong cultural stereotype. It's pretty much a clean slate. I think Harper will age well, meaning it sounds like a great name for a cute little girl as well as a grown woman. When you add it all up, this name has a lot going for it.




You May Also Like...
Musical Names ~ Atticus ~ Bailey ~ Quinn ~ Popular Unisex Names

5 comments:

  1. Just found your blog today thru blogcatalog, I am so excited about it. I just love baby names, Harper is a great name for an individual little girl. Can't wait to read more

    Stacy
    www.kidsstuffworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my daughter's name! I love finding it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! What a lovely name she has. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite like Harper. I don't, however, like the fact that it was originally a surname. I do like the similar and yet more feminine Icelandic name, Harpa (I wrote about her on my blog if she want to check it out).

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 names a lot like Harper are Heidi\Hidey and Piper. Harper's a lovely name.

    ReplyDelete