April 10, 2009

One-Syllable Names



Perfect Options for Middle Names
I created this post originally as a list of "one-syllable middle names," because I know a lot of you are on the lookout for short-and-sweet options. Personally, my surname is three syllables and I feel that a shorter middle name usually flows a little better in my case. But I also want to point out these names make perfectly wonderful first names as well!

What You'll Find
One-syllable names have typically been dominated by boys, and it shows. Traditionally, the quick, simple words are associated more with the male sex. But you will find the girls' names listed here are elegant, sweet, and feminine; I only wish there were more.

One more thing—I didn't include too many "nicknames" or shortened variants of longer names. Some examples are Bob (Robert), Mike (Michael), or Jan (Janet), though those would work too. Feel free to post any additional ideas in the comments section!

Girls

Ann or Anne

Belle

Bleu or Blue

Blythe

Bree

Brooke

Brynn

Cate or Kate

Claire or Clare

Cree

Dawn

Dea

Dove

Drew

Elle

Eve

Faith

Fawn

Fay or Faye

France

Gail or Gayle

Grace

Hope

Jade

Jane

Jean

Jill

Jo

Joan

Joy

June

Kay

Lane or Laine

Lark

Leigh

Love

Lu or Lou

Lynn or Lynne

Mae or May

Maeve

Maude

Nell

Neve

Paige

Pearl

Quinn

Rae

Rain or Raine

Reese or Rhys

Rose

Ruth

Shae

Sky or Skye

Sloane

Snow

Star

Sue

Tess

Wind

Wren

Wynn or Wynne

Yael
Boys

Abe

Ace

Art

Ash

Beau or Bo

Blake

Blaze or Blaise

Bram

Brant

Bray

Breck

Brent

Brett

Brock

Bronx

Bruce

Bryce

Brynn

Cade

Case or Kase


Cash

Chad

Chance


Chase

Clark

Clay

Clive

Cole

Craig

Cree

Dale

Dax

Drake

Drew

Earl

Finn or Fynn


Flint

Flynn

Fox

Fred

Fritz

Gage

Garth

Gene

Gent

George

Glen or Glenn

Graham

Grant

Gray or Grey

Guy

Hank

Hawk

Heath

Hugh

Jace, Jase, or Jayce


Jack

Jake

James

Jax


Jay

Jazz

Jett

John

Joel

Kai

Kade

Knox

Kurt

Lance

Lane

Lee

Lloyd

Luke

Mark or Marc

Max

Miles

Mitch

Nash

Neil or Neal

Oz

Park

Paul

Pax

Penn

Quinn

Ray

Reece, Reese or Rhys

Reed or Reid

Rhett

Rome

Ross

Sean, Shaun, or Shawn

Shane

Seth

Skip

Sky or Skye

Spence

Steel

Tate

Teague

Trace

Tre or Trey

Trent

Trig

Troy

Ty

Vance

Vaughn or Von

Vince

Wade

Walt

West

Wolf

Wray

Yale

York

Zac, Zack, or Zach

Zane



You May Also Like...
Nature Names ~ Troublemaker Names ~  Vintage Names from the 1910s and 20s

23 comments:

  1. I love your choices. I also like Kit (short for Katherine).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see how any self-respecting parent could name their SON Skye. I think it's beautiful for a GIRL, but a boy named Skye would never make it through high school, nor should he be expected to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew a boy in high school named Skye. He seemed to make it through alive...

      Delete
  3. Hi Anonymous, thanks for your opinion. It's technically unisex, but I took Sky/Skye off the list for boys because you're right, it's not usually used for boys and it looked a little out of place. :)

    Keep the suggestions coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I have to laugh at the person saying Sky not being a boy's name. I actually have a customer where I work whose name is Branson Skye. And he's a very handsome, tall teenager with charisma and confidence to boot. who says it can't be a boy's name? I've also known a little girl whose name was River.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I needed to edit my post about my customer's name. He goes by Skye, and not many ppl know that it is is middle name rather than first. Just FYI, most names are unisex when you really think about it. Toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little brother's name is Skylar and goes by the nickname Sky almost always. The only high school problem he has is academic :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. My teenage son is Matthew Skye...I loved Skye as a middle name, and to boot he is tall,handsome and intelligent...
    Our 2nd son has the middle name Levi..
    I personally love both Skye and Levi as middle names for boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Rhodes would be a great addition to the boys name list. We named our first son Rhodes because we both loved it since it wasn't very common, and it also happened to be a family name on my husband's side, as well as his middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the name Skye for a boy. One of my swim coaches when I was growing up was Skye and all the girls were in love with him. He was very masculine and nobody ever said anything about his name being unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can also add the name Ren to the boys list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can also post Jude to both sides since it's considered unisex but mainly male.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i really like the name tate as a middle for makenzi for my unborn daughter only i was going to spell it tayte. . . but dads not to into it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the name Skye as a middle name for a guy!! I know a few and they are not picked on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blake is one of my favorite names. And I guess next to that I would pick Ace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm ending the Sky controversy once and for all, and adding it to the boys list in addition to girls. I do often dislike categorizing a name as male or female, especially for names that are unisex like Sky. It's a cute name either way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a Zane also but it can be spelled Zain as well. That's how it's spelled in the Bible. We also have a Trigg with 2 g's but it's original spelling is Trygg or Tryg (can't remember). It's Scandonavian though and means True, Faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another name to add to the girl's list is Liv, it's a full girl's name. It's Scandinavian, meaning "Life".

    ReplyDelete
  19. I notice that Cian is with Sean...From my experience, Cian is pronounced "kee-an." Perhaps it should be moved up with the "C's." Just an observation. :) Loved the list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rue would make a nice middle name for a girl. I like Bay too, for either boys or girls.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What about Bess for girls?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the name Kate too! It's a very strong name.. I'm naming my daughter Emery Kate.

    ReplyDelete